Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Am I doing this right?

This is going to shock a few of you out there. I’m not perfect at this mommy thing. No really, it’s true. I have still not been able to pack perfect diaper bag. I am always missing something. I don’t always brush Catherine’s teeth at night. I forgot to send her with an item for show & tell last week. We don’t belong to any playgroups or participate in any sports. I even forgot to bring my camera with me to the hospital when I was having Maddie. (Okay, so I was in labor three weeks early and went from 0-7 cm in under two hours. I think I get a pass for that one) Catherine’s baby scrapbook album stops at the age of 9 months. I am the mommy at the birthday parties that doesn’t know anyone else.

The wonderful thing about this is that kids don’t expect perfection. They love you with all of your faults. They still say you’re beautiful when your hair is a mess and you have baby food all over your clothes. They don’t mind when you haven’t had time to make a home cooked meal. (In some cases they prefer canned pasta….something I never understood). At the end of the day when I’m feeling so much “mommy guilt” there is nothing like Catherine saying “I just love you soooooo much!” Perfection is overrated anyway.

No comments: